Sunday, January 27, 2013

And that's all she wrote

After two years of blogging, I am now retiring Chimp Trainer's Daughter, while honoring the memory of Detroit Zoo chimpanzee Jo Mendi II.


Unbeknownst to either of us at the time, we shared so many common experiences in the 1950s. 

The lessons continue.

Dawn (Brown) Forsythe

Update, February 2, 2013:


Some of you may remember Gilda Radner's wonderful character, Emily Litella. Emily would make a heartfelt statement on SNL news, and get really wrapped up in it, only to find she had misunderstood. She then turned to the camera and, in a meek voice, squeaked out "Never mind."

I need to make my Emily Litella statement.

After announcing the blog's "retirement," a lot of people reminded me why I began this in the first place. I had lost heart -- but the comments and encouragement I've received in the past couple of days have gotten my blood flowing again. I am changing the retirement to a short hiatus.

So. "Never mind."

The blog will be back. Thanks for reminding me what is at stake.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn, I just found your blog a few days ago. My great grandfather Theodore Schröder trained Jo Mendi in the 1930s and early 1940s. Maybe your dad knew him. I really like your blog...we share the same caring feelings for animals. Tom Parker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom,
    Nice to "meet" you! I don't know whether dad ever knew him, but I'm sure he must have known OF him. Your great grandfather was an important trainer. I have a picture of him (although spelled Schroeder) with the first Jo Mendi, on this blog post: http://chimptrainersdaughter.blogspot.com/2011/07/more-reason-to-boycott-businesses-that.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good picture of my great grandfather. I have never seen it before.

      Delete
  3. sad to hear that the blog is being retired=o(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dawn. Thanks for all you do. I've appreciated the blog and will keep fighting the good fight.

    Anonymous for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't retire this page, you are doing a great job, Shirley McGreal

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to thank the people who supported me with comments on this blog, and those who emailed and sent me Facebook messages, encouraging me to continue blogging. I admit that I had lost heart -- but your kind words and insights got my blood flowing again.

    Let me change my retirement to a brief vacation. I'll be back in a bit.

    - Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn- Thank you for all your contributions here and everywhere you have made statements and expressed your views to help chimps.You are greatly loved and appreciated and I hope you will continue. Hopefully, you will have more happy news to report in the future when all your valuable information will have helped sprout changes and new Hope for our Ape friends.
      Roberta Herman

      Delete
  7. I miss your blogs. Chimpanzees are my passion,it meant a lot to know I was not the only one that feels so much for the adversity the Chimpanzees endure. You have a way with words,(I envy you) you can make a difference, not all of us can write how we feel.

    ReplyDelete