Thursday, October 13, 2011

Corporate greed in advertising and research

Scientific American has an excellent article this week, “Chimpanzees should not be used in TV or movies.” Science NOW writes that "cute TV chimps may harm their wild brethren." Reading these articles, I couldn’t help but wonder why marketers still use chimps, even when they have been told that their exploitation hurts chimpanzee welfare and conservation.
I’ve also been wondering why researchers still use chimpanzees, when they know the chimps suffer.
I think I may have discovered a link. Could it be that corporate profits and greed in the entertainment industry, the advertising industry, the pharmaceutical industry, and the research industry are more important than the lives of these animals?
I know, it’s a stupid question. After all, we have so much evidence showing the compassionate side of corporations lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment